For the Institute of Mathematics, Chair of Computational Mathematics at Hamburg University of Technology for the earliest possible date, we are looking for a:
PhD STUDENT (m/f/d)
WISSENSCHAFTLICHER MITARBEITER /(m/w/d)
For a maximum of 4 years. The remuneration is in accordance with TV-L 13 .
- To develop new parallelisable numerical time stepping methods based on the Boris integrator for computer
simulations of charged particles in electro-magnetic fields and similar oscillatory systems
- Implementation in Python using parallel programming libraries
- Investigation of stability, accuracy and other characteristics of the developed methods via mathematical
analysis and numerical experiments
- Comprehensive benchmarking against existing methods for relevant test cases
- A university degree in a relevant field of study, e.g. mathematics, computational science, computational
- Excellent knowledge of numerical mathematics and in particular of numerical time stepping methods.
- Expertise in computational physics and in particular plasma physics is considered a plus
- Experience with a modern programming language like Python, C++ or FORTRAN
- Good written and spoken English
- We offer an opportunity to conduct research with the aim of obtaining a doctoral degree
- Opportunities to work with collaborators at high-ranking research institutions in Germany, the US
and the UK
- Opportunities to participate in scientific conferences and for research visits to partners in the
United Kingdom or the US
For further information please contact Prof. Daniel Ruprecht (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, or disability.
We particularly encourage women to apply. Due to their underrepresentation, they are given priority with the same suitability, qualifications, and professional performance.
Please submit your transcripts, CV, your letter of motivation and one or two letters of recommendation to the application portal indicated below. Please submit your transcripts, CV, your letter of motivation and one or two letters of recommendation to the application portal indicated below.
We are looking forward to your online application until 04.02.2021.